Green screen is a movie technique of video shooting, which allows you to replace the background of the object. It is widely used by filmmakers to create various movie effects, mainly to move the subject to another place.
If you are fond of editing, you probably already faced the problem of removing the green background in the video and replacing it with a static picture or another video.
So there are two ways to accomplish this task.
The first and most popular way to remove the background in a video is to use the green screen software.
The essence of the green screen editor is that it automatically finds a solid green background in the video and instantly removes it, leaving the space around the subject transparent.
The second way is to apply a mask to the video, and it will be relevant in cases where the background that you need to delete is noticeably heterogeneous in color and texture.
Green screen software is one of the most common effects, which allows you to remove information about a color from a video, getting the subject shot on a transparent layer. Accordingly, subsequently, with the object, you can carry out any manipulation and embed it on any background.
On the effect of using green screens, most of the special effects in the modern film industry are built.
The green screen is currently used as a background more than blue, because image sensors in digital video cameras are most sensitive to green, providing more pixels to the green channel.
This is due to the increased sensitivity of the human eye to green light. In addition, the blue background may correspond to the color of the eyes of a person or some common types of clothing, such as jeans, or a dark blue suit.
So, the green screen object should not wear clothes and accessories similar in color to green, because the clothes will be replaced by a secondary video.
Although green and blue are the most common, any color can be used for it. Red is usually not used because of its prevalence in normal pigments of human skin, but can be used for objects and scenes in which people are not involved.
List of Top 10 best green screen software You Must Try
1. Adobe Premiere (Most Recommended Green Screen Software)
Adobe Premiere is one of the best green screen software to download for Windows 10.
In Adobe Premiere, this footage is placed on the desktop (TimeLine) on the track above the background video.
- On the Effects tab, open the Video Effects folder, in it – the Keyng folder.
- From the list of effects, select Chroma Key.
- Switch the source window to the Effects Management tab and drag the selected effect there.
- Open the Chroma Key by clicking on the triangle to the left. A series of effect settings opens.
The first of them – Color – includes a dropper with which you select a color. Take a dropper and click on the blue background of the footage.All blue pixels will become transparent and the background video can be seen through them.
But in practice this rarely happens. A blue halo may remain around the flame. Blue spots may remain if the background color was uneven (for example, they were shot against the background of the fabric that was reflecting).
To remove blue residues, use the following two settings: Similarity and Blend. Open them with triangles on the left, a scale appears. Moving the sliders on the scale, you will see how the picture changes.
Using these settings, you can completely remove blue residues.
2. Adobe After Effects
After Effects is a powerful green screen software for creating animated graphics, effects, presentations. For interface designers, it is useful for three reasons.
The effectiveness of the presentation of layouts, a simple explanation of complex interactions, and the ability to animate a static layout.
When you need to use scenes with real people and combine them with computer graphics, keying is used.
Keying is the process of combining two or more images or frames within the same composition. During filming, the subject is placed on a plain colored background, usually green or blue.
Also Read : Top 10 Best Screen Recording Software
When combining an object with a background in a frame, during a scene recording or during editing, instead of a plain background, you can place another image. Keying is also called chromakey.
3. DaVinci Resolve
Most professional-level video editing programs (such as Adobe Premiere) usually come bundled with prices that are not the most affordable for the average user. For example, if you do not plan to work in them more often than several times a year, you most likely will not want to buy a license.
And yet, on the market today there is one free program, which in its video processing and color grading capabilities refers to professional video editors.
If you’re looking for a video editor for Windows 10 with the ambition of a novice filmmaker, Resolve is definitely for you.
DaVinci Resolve allows you to cut a green background in just a few clicks and uses an algorithm that is in no way inferior to the best professional counterparts.
Resolve has powerful tools for working with a green screen.
- Prepare the timeline – Before you start working with a green screen, you have to prepare a timeline by placing the background plate on the first video track, as well as a frame with a green screen on the second, as you would in other editing programs.
- Use the classifier – When you return to the Color tab in DaVinci Resolve, you can use the eyedropper and qualifier tools to separate the green background. Also use the highlight visualizer to see what you have highlighted and what not, in black and white.
- Invert the selection area – By default, the selection area will be on the green part of the frame. In order to perform keying, you need to invert the selection on the “qualifier” tab. Your goal is for the background to be fully black and the main objects white.
- Debugging – While the desired zone is highlighted and inverted, manage the edges of the settings in the “qualifier” tab until you get the best result.
- Manage the blur – When you get the desired result, you can adjust the blur radius to soften the edges a bit. This will help to hide some of the roughness in the work.
- Create Alpha Output – First thing you should do is to right-click on the node tree and select Add alpha output. You need to draw a line from the node with the green screen to the Alpha output zone.
- A little more debugging – Now that your image has been finalized, you may notice some places where green still remains. They can be configured even more carefully.
Refer to the “qualifier” tab again and adjust the settings again to the desired result. The in/out ratio function will help you adjust the edges of the green screen.
When creating the green screen effect, two images or a video stream are used together based on color shades (color range).
- Use the EDIt tab.
Insert two videos on the Timeline, on different tracks, one above the other.
The first video will be in the foreground. For example, this is a video of a person. It is highly desirable that a person make a sharp contrast with the background surrounding him. Even better – if a person is shot against a uniform colored background (for example, against a green background) – this background is easiest to remove from the video (make it transparent).
The second video is background.
- Go to the VFX effects tab.
Click on the button to add a new effect (cross).
From the effect categories, select the Key category.
Click on Green screen .
- Click on the eyedropper tool, drag it into the View Window on the color that you want to remove (if the person is on a green background – click on the green color).
Click again to select a color.This operation is similar to removing the background from photos using a graphical editor, but here the background is removed from all frames.
- Adjust the green color removal. When you hover over the Hue, Saturation, or Luminance, the mouse cursor changes to a double arrow. This allows you to drag the selected strip left or right to adjust its settings.
- Any changes you make to display hue, saturation, and brightness are displayed in the View Window.
- Select the Reveal check box to display the selected items on the screen.
- Select the Invert check box to display which items on the screen were not selected.
- On the Timeline, video with a transparent background (top video) will be underlined by a green line.
- After removing the background in the first video, the result should be a video where the person appears on the background layer.
5. Hitfilm Express
Hitfilm Express is a free program, apart from the free version there is a paid one. In fact, the scope of benefits that is mentioned for the free version is more than enough for a beginner. In the free version there are 400 special effects.
And if you need something else, you can buy individual add-ons without getting the paid version.
HitFilm is a program for creating and editing videos, distributed in the paid and free versions. The free edition (Express) includes an astounding many different tools and works with many popular multimedia formats.
This easy-to-use tool helps to “glue” a video from several parts, add filters, effects and music to it. Of the “delicious” ones, HitFilm Express has support for blending layers using masks, advanced blur effects and creating depth of field
The ability to export high-resolution video using the H.264 codec, a good selection of transitions between frames, the function to remove the green background from the frame, and also tools for working with lighting and shadows. It is very unusual to see such rich functionality in a free editor.
6. Sony Vegas
- To get started, upload a video with a green background to one track, as well as the video or image you want to overlay on another track, into the video editor.
- Then you need to go to the video effects tab.
- Here you need to find the Chroma Key effect or Color Separator (the name of the effect depends on your version of Sony Vegas) and overlay it on the video with a green background.
- In the effect settings, you must specify which color to remove. To do this, click on the palette and use the eyedropper to click on the green color in the preview window. Also experiment with the settings and move the sliders to get a sharper image.
- Now that the green background is not visible and only a certain object from the video remains, you can overlay it on any video or image.
With this editing program, you can cut and change the background in the video yourself and make a video that is not inferior to modern Hollywood films.
Take a video on a plain background, apply the Chroma key effect, and the program will make the video background transparent. Now insert a pretty landscape, a futuristic video, or something else instead. Changing the background of a video in Movavi Video Editor is a matter of minutes.
To get started, select your video with a plain or transparent background and put it up the Timeline. An additional video track will appear on the Timeline.
Put your video on this track. Leave another video clip that you are going to use as a background on the bottom, on a Video Track.
Place the video on a green background over the video, which will serve as a new background
To overlay the main video in the background, double-click on the top video clip on the timeline, select the Over clip option from the list and click Apply. Then select the Chroma key option in the Tools menu and click on the plain background of the video in the preview window.
You will see that the color of the small square in the Chroma key menu has become identical to the background color of your video.
Finally, adjust the settings like Tolerance, Noise, Edges, and Opacity that the background clip to be clearly visible. When you are satisfied with the result, click Apply.
The background of the top clip seemed to be cut out: it became completely transparent, and instead an image or video appeared that you placed on the bottom track.
8. Virtual Dub
Virtual Dub is a basic video editing program that lets you add effects and perform basic functions in your videos.
VirtualDub is a popular video editor designed to capture, edit and edit video materials of various formats. This is a free program licensed under the GNU General Public License.
You can download VirtualDub right now and get acquainted with a huge number of useful functions that the utility developer Avery Lee has prepared for users.
- Built-in filters or plug-ins.
- Special plugins for working with vob-files and MPEG2 format.
- Batch video processing.
- Convert MPEG-1 to 24-bit AVI.
- Processing a large file (> 2 Gb).
- Resolution setting.
- Simultaneous work with several audio tracks, like Audacity.
- Cutting video with music for frames.
- Bonding sound and images with a single fragment coding method.
- Support for format files .avi, .mpeg, .mpg, .dat, .divx, .mpv, .mp3, .avs, .vdr, .w64.
- Audio video converter, including for mobile devices.
- “The original video file to file-receiver” without the need to create a project.
- High image quality.
- Absolute control over the operating mode.
- Intuitive interface with a detailed menu.
9.Filmora Video Editor
Filmora Video Editor is the best video background editing software. It makes it easy to apply the green screen effect. When setting the green screen effect, you can also adjust the movement, shadow, border and flip.
After applying the green screen, you can use some of the great features in Filmora Video Editor to further edit your video. This is a professional green screen editing program.
Benefits of using Filmora Video Editor:
- Different special effects are available like split screen, green screen, and shutdown functions.
- It has more than 300 video effects that allow you to be more creative.
- Amazing animated captions will help make your video eye-catching and special.
10. VCDC Free Video Editor
This editor can be attributed to the most popular video editors, from the category of non-linear type. With it, you can easily mount various videos, clips, as well as full-fledged slide shows. To do this, the program functionality has an impressive amount of interesting audio and video effects that allow users to create unique and colorful films and clips.
This editor combines a rather rare combination of great functionality and ease of use. Many video and audio effects allow users to create, creating unusual clips and clips. There are so many effects that the developers deliberately split them into functional subgroups. So, depending on the purpose of the effect, groups are distinguished:
- Color correction
- Other effects
Thanks to the editor, you can process video, audio and images of any format. You will not need to download additional software for conversion.
The source files are simply transferred to the workspace of the program, after which you can immediately start working with them.