|FaceApp - AI Face Editor|
Coming across unusual pictures of your friends on Facebook and Instagram? Relax it just a face editor app. People across the world are using it to change their look entirely. With it you can make your realistic pictures look Older, younger, add a smile and even swap the gender. Unfortunately, with all the fun attached to this popular app, FaceApp recently gained a lot of negative attention and have raised few security concerns. Recent allegations state that the app collects and tracks a lot of personal information about its users without their consent and uploads it on a server. Debates are still going on between cyber security experts and FaceApp officials on this. To avoid trading off-with your online privacy, users are advised to check the privacy policies before installing the app.
What is Face editor app? Why is it catching everybody’s attention? And how does it work? Here’s everything you need to know about FaceApp.
If you are a frequent user of social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, Insta. I’m sure you must have unquestionably come across an app that can edit your photos and make you look younger or older.
This over lauded app has become the talk of the town, and everyone is seen sharing their edited photos on social media.
The application has been in the market since 2017, but it’s newly added feature for editing looks has captured a lot of popularity recently.
The concern: It is believed that the app has captured and amassed a massive number of users photos which it can use as per its description. However, FaceAap, in its clarification statement, has stated that most of the captured images get deleted from its database within 48 hours.
Furthermore, it also added that no user data is shared with third-party agencies.
If you’d like to know more about this face editor app, keep reading further to have your questions answered.
To start with: What is FaceApp?
FaceApp is a face editor and photo-morphing app. It works on artificial intelligence to modify and transform your images into the hilarious, creepy, and weird pictureS.
It takes the input from your photo gallery and transforms it based on other images. It picks up pictures from your photo gallery that prominently features faces.
It can adjust makeup styles, insert a toothy smile for giving your picture a more natural look.
Types of Face transformations possible with FaceApp
- Smile: It adds a smile to your face and modifies your picture into a smiling face.
- Old: This one gives an older version of your picture.
- Young: This filter makes your face look more youthful.
- Male: It adds male features to your face.
- Female: You can add female features to your face with this filter.
Excited to transform your pictures? Let’s learn how to use this app
Are you still wondering how it works? Follow the mentioned step-by-step instruction and start FaceApp’ing today.
How to click a picture and filter it using FaceApp
- To start with, launch the app on your device.
- It uses an overlay to capture your photograph, position your face within the overlay. Once it detects your face, it gets disappeared.
- Once you are in the correct frame, hit the shutter button to process your photograph.
- Next, choose a filter of your choice.
- Click on the “Save button” (looks like a down arrow key) followed by the “Share icon” button to share your picture.
How to filter a photo from your Library
- Launch the app on your device.
- To access your photo library within the app, place your finger at the bottom of the screen and swipe upwards.
- Choose an image.
- Next choose a filter, for the app to begin modifying your picture.
- Tap to save the changes and then hit on the Share icon to share your image.
What else does it do?
Face editor app can also be used to create GIF by switching between collages and filters. Its GIF feature makes an animated GIF of your picture, Duo uses two images, and a collage uses four images to create the final result.
However, a point to remember here is that The app uploads all these images on its server to transform them.
Is there something to worry about?
Well, recent allegations have surely raised a few eyebrows on the working policies of FaceApp. According to some recent reports, the app uses pictures from people’s phone gallery without seeking their permission.
However, cyber-security researchers have denied all such allegations stating that it only uses those pictures which are authenticated by the users.
FaceApp also reiterated this fact to BBC that it only uploads the images which are submitted by the users.
What’s the problem with Facial recognition?
Others have also accused it by raising another privacy issue. It’s worth noting here that an open-access to users photo gallery can be used to train facial recognition algorithms.
Which means, even if the pictures are deleted, the measurements of the face can be extracted and used for other purposes.
However, FaceApp, Chief Executive has again clarified in his statement that the application only edits users pictures. It is not using their database for any unethical practice.
What’s more in store?
More questions are also being raised on similar grounds. Why does FaceApp need to upload the pictures on the Cloud when it can locally process them on the user’s smartphones.
All the pictures processed by this app are uploaded on a server located in the US.
Debates related to the privacy issues are still on. Some claim that uploading pictures on a server give it a competitive advantage. However, some are of the view that processing pictures on smartphones will be more secure.
What does FaceApp have to say in this regard?
In light with all the allegations regarding users privacy and security, the company has released few clarification statements.
- The app only uploads pictures submitted by the users, and it never uses any other images from the phone gallery.
- The pictures are uploaded on Cloud to boost the performance.
- All images are deleted after 48 hours.
- The app also allows the user to place requests for getting their pictures deleted.
All in all, about the security concerns related to this face editor app. We would suggest the users not to share any personal information until there are completely clear about its working and privacy policies.